"Margin ( Art & Media) is proud to showcase artists from the following regions : the Netherlands Antilles, Suriname, Aruba, Rwanda , Indonesia, Curaçao, St Maarten. Bonaire , St Eustatius & Saba, Zanzibar (Mozambique), Australia.
These countries are all proudly independent. Some ( like Suriname) have been for over 40 years.
The focus of this exhibition is to celebrate the worldwide achievements of these artists.
Enjoy the styles , colour and vitality of international art at its finest."
Margin (Art & Media) curates a space where the voices of the artists are heard.
The exhibition is centralised from personal stories of the artists.
The (former) Dutch colonies include the Netherlands Antilles, Suriname, Aruba, Rwanda, Indonesia, Curacao, St. Maarten, Bonaire, St. Eustatius, Saba, Zanzibar (Mozambique) and Australia.
The artistic contribution of these countries have been immense. Present day art institutions in the Netherlands & beyond have been shaped by the colour, glamour and artistic fluidity from these regions.
This exhibition showcases artists from these regions. Their colour and structures have underpin the GDP of the Dutch Caribbean Islands. GDP of US$ 8.911 billion (2018).
These international artists spanning three generations are:
- Lubaina Himid CBE
- Heri Dono
- Nelson Carrilho
- Jhundry Udenhout
- Emeke Buitelaar
- Harley Davelaar
- Allen Barker
- George Struikelblok
- Agnès Uwase Nteziryayo
DID YOU KNOW:
- Lubaina Himid CBE won the Turner Prize.
- Heri Dono is a leading contemporary artist and the first Indonesian to break into the global art scene.
- Nelson Carrilho makes sculptures and monuments for the public space like the Vondelpark, Westerpark and the mountain Arrarat in Curacao.
- Allen Barker has a permanent collection in the Boijmans van Beuningen Museum.
- George Struikelblok represented Suriname in the Biennial in China.
- Emeke Buitelaar came second in the competition Dutch “artist of the year”.
- Shahaila Winklaar is a finalist in the Dutch Annual Art Fair 2019 and she works with the sensational blackest black pigment.
- Harley Davelaar sculptures are world famous.
- Agnes Uwase Nteziryayo is a Chelsea Flower Show winner.
- Nora Kastein is the first woman to hold an exhibition in the Sahara Desert.
Enjoy the styles, colour and vitality of international art at its finest.
- Teaser exhibition Part of Rotterdam Art Week
Location: WORM, Boomgaardsstraat 71,
Date 5/2/ - 9/2 2020
- Full exhibition
Date: 12/6 - 21/6 2020
Time: 14.00 - 19.00
Entrance: Under 16 years and 60+ free entrance students ( with student card) free entrance.
Every one else: E 5,-